Steven Engebretson, DMD, MS, MS
Dr. Steven Engebretson received his Doctor of Dental Medicine cum lauda et thesis propria from Harvard School of Dental Medicine. He also holds two Master of Science degrees, one in Periodontics from Columbia University, the other in Biostatistics focusing on patient-oriented research from the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University. His academic carrier has included full-time academic appointments at three colleges of dental medicine: Columbia University, Stony Brook University and New York University.
Dr. Engebretson is Associate Professor in the Ashman Department of Periodontology and Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry, where he has served as Department Chair, and Program Director of the Advanced Education Program in Periodontics. He is also an expert in the area of diabetes and oral health, and has been invited to speak at seminars and workshops in North America, Europe and the Middle East. Dr. Engebretson received a $12.5 M grant from the NIH (National Institute of Health) in 2008 for a critical diabetes and periodontics clinical trial: The Diabetes and Periodontal Therapy Trial (DPTT). Dr. Engebretson was the Study Chair and Principal Investigator of this award, which he completed in 2013. He is also the principal investigator on three supplemental awards for the DPTT totaling more than $2.5 M. This multi-center national clinical trial, the largest study of its kind in the United States, evaluates whether treatment of chronic periodontitis will help improve diabetes control. His teaching duties include both undergraduate and post-graduate clinical and didactic. He has served as thesis advisor and mentor to seven Masters Degrees students, and two Doctoral students, as well as numerous undergraduate dental student research projects.
Dr. Engebretson served for seven years as Associate Editor of the Journal of Periodontology, and has served on numerous committees for the American Academy of Periodontology. He was awarded a U.S. patent for “Methods for Facilitating Metabolic Control,” and has several additional patents pending. He is the founder of KT Therapeutics, LLC, and OraDelivery, LLC, privately-held biotechnology companies, and is a prolific author and lecturer.
Dr. Engebretson also is a frequent guest on “Sirius” Dr. Radio, a nationally broadcast live interview and call-in radio program, answering questions to listeners about periodontal health and dental implants.
- Schwarz F, Sculean A, Engebretson SP, Becker J, Sager M. Animal Models for Peri-Implant Mucositis and Peri-Implantitis. Periodontology 2000. 2015 Jun;68(1):168-81. PubMed PMID: 25867986.
- Soardi CM, Clozza E, Turco G, Biasotto M, Engebretson SP, Wang HL, et al. Microradiography and Microcomputed Tomography Comparative Analysis in Human Bone Cores Harvested After Maxillary Sinus Augmentation: A Pilot Study. Clinical oral implants research. 2014 Oct;25(10):1161-8. PubMed PMID: 23796003.
- Schoenfeld ER, Hyman L, Simpson LL, Michalowicz B, Reddy M, Gelato M, Engebretson SP, et al. An Evaluation of Recruitment Methods Utilized for a Clinical Trial with Periodontal and Diabetes Enrollment Criteria: The Diabetes and Periodontal Therapy Trial. Clinical investigation. 2014 Dec 1;4(12):1065-81. PubMed PMID: 25574373. Pubmed Central PMCID: 4283836.
- Michalowicz BS, Hyman L, Hou W, Oates TW, Jr., Reddy M, Paquette DW, Engebretson SP, et al. Factors Associated with The Clinical Response to Nonsurgical Periodontal Therapy in People with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Journal of the American Dental Association. 2014 Dec; 145(12):1227-39. PubMed PMID: 25429036.
- Engebretson SP, Hyman LG, Michalowicz BS. Hemoglobin A1c Levels Among Patients with Diabetes Receiving Nonsurgical Periodontal Treatment--Reply. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2014 May 14;311(18):1921-2. PubMed PMID: 24825652.
- Engebretson S. Periodontal Disease and Glycemic Control in Diabetics. Evidence-based dentistry. 2014 Sep;15(3):93-4. PubMed PMID: 25343401.
- Clozza E, Suzuki T, Engebretson SP. Full-Mouth Esthetic Rehabilitation with Acellular Dermal Matrix. The international journal of esthetic dentistry. 2014 Winter; 9(4):468-79. PubMed PMID: 25289382.
- Clozza E, Obrecht M, Dard M, Coelho PG, Dahlin C, Engebretson SP. A Novel Three-Dimensional Analysis of Standardized Bone Defects by Means of Confocal Scanner and Micro-Computed Tomography. Clinical oral investigations. 2014 May; 18(4):1245-50. PubMed PMID: 23934200.
- Urbankova A, Eber M, Engebretson SP. A Complex Haptic Exercise to Predict Preclinical Operative Dentistry Performance: A Retrospective Study. Journal of dental education. 2013 Nov;77(11):1443-50. PubMed PMID: 24192409.
- Engebretson S, Gelato M, Hyman L, Michalowicz BS, Schoenfeld E. Design Features of the Diabetes and Periodontal Therapy Trial (DPTT): A Multicenter Randomized Single-Masked Clinical Trial Testing the Effect of Nonsurgical Periodontal Therapy on Glycosylated Hemoglobin (HbA1c) Levels in Subjects with Type 2 Diabetes and Chronic Periodontitis. Contemporary Clinical Trials. 2013 Nov; 36(2):515-26. PubMed PMID: 24080100. Pubmed Central PMCID: 3885354.
- Engebretson SP, Hyman LG, Michalowicz BS, Schoenfeld ER, Gelato MC, Hou W, et al. The Effect of Nonsurgical Periodontal Therapy on Hemoglobin A1c Levels in Persons with Type 2 Diabetes and Chronic Periodontitis: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2013 Dec 18; 310(23):2523-32. PubMed PMID: 24346989. Pubmed Central PMCID: 4089989.
- Engebretson S, Kocher T. Evidence That Periodontal Treatment Improves Diabetes Outcomes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of clinical periodontology. 2013 Apr;40 Suppl 14:S153-63. PubMed PMID: 23627325.
- Engebretson S, Kocher T. Evidence That Periodontal Treatment Improves Diabetes Outcomes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of periodontology. 2013 Apr;84(4 Suppl):S153-69. PubMed PMID: 23631575. Pubmed Central PMCID: 4100543.
- Kye W, Davidson R, Martin J, Engebretson S. Current Status of Periodontal Risk Assessment. The journal of evidence-based dental practice. 2012 Sep; 12(3 Suppl): 2-11. PubMed PMID: 23040336.
- Urbankova A, Engebretson SP. The Use of Haptics to Predict Preclinic Operative Dentistry Performance and Perceptual Ability. Journal of dental education. 2011 Dec;75(12):1548-57. PubMed PMID: 22184593.
- Urbankova A, Engebretson SP. Computer-Assisted Dental Simulation as a Predictor of Preclinical Operative Dentistry Performance. Journal of Dental Education. 2011 Sep;75(9):1249-55. PubMed PMID: 21890855.
- Engebretson SP, Hey-Hadavi J. Sub-Antimicrobial Doxycycline for Periodontitis Reduces Hemoglobin A1c in Subjects with Type 2 Diabetes: A Pilot Study. Pharmacological Research : the official journal of the Italian Pharmacological Society. 2011 Dec;64(6):624-9. PubMed PMID: 21782948. Pubmed Central PMCID: 3195946.
- Engebretson S, Chertog R, Nichols A, Hey-Hadavi J, Celenti R, Grbic J. Plasma Levels of Tumour Necrosis Factor-Alpha in Patients with Chronic Periodontitis and Type 2 Diabetes. Journal of clinical periodontology. 2007 Jan;34(1):18-24. PubMed PMID: 17116158.
- Chen CY, Hasselgren G, Serman N, Elkind MS, Desvarieux M, Engebretson SP. Prevalence and Quality of Endodontic Treatment in the Northern Manhattan Elderly. Journal of endodontics. 2007 Mar;33(3):230-4. PubMed PMID: 17320702.
- Engebretson SP, Vossughi F, Hey-Hadavi J, Emingil G, Grbic JT. The Influence of Diabetes on Gingival Crevicular Fluid Beta-Glucuronidase and Interleukin-8. Journal of clinical periodontology. 2006 Nov;33(11):784-90. PubMed PMID: 16911568.
- Engebretson SP, Lamster IB, Elkind MS, Rundek T, Serman NJ, Demmer RT, et al. Radiographic Measures of Chronic Periodontitis and Carotid Artery Plaque. Stroke; A Journal of Cerebral Circulation. 2005 Mar;36(3):561-6. PubMed PMID: 15692118. Pubmed Central PMCID: 2692923.
- Engebretson SP, Hey-Hadavi J, Ehrhardt FJ, Hsu D, Celenti RS, Grbic JT, et al. Gingival Crevicular Fluid Levels of Interleukin-1beta and Glycemic Control in Patients with Chronic Periodontitis and Type 2 Diabetes. Journal of Periodontology. 2004 Sep; 75(9):1203-8. PubMed PMID: 15515334.
- Zhang F, Engebretson SP, Morton RS, Cavanaugh PF, Jr., Subbaramaiah K, Dannenberg AJ. The Overexpression of Cyclo-Oxygenase-2 in Chronic Periodontitis. Journal of the American Dental Association. 2003 Jul; 134(7):861-7. PubMed PMID: 12892443.
- Grbic JT, Engebretson SP. The Future of Periodontal Diagnostic Testing. Dentistry today. 2003 May;22(5):103-11; quiz 11. PubMed PMID: 12778680.
- Engebretson SP, Grbic JT, Singer R, Lamster IB. GCF IL-1beta Profiles in Periodontal Disease. Journal of Clinical Periodontology. 2002 Jan;29(1):48-53. PubMed PMID: 11846849.
- Mitchell-Lewis D, Engebretson SP, Chen J, Lamster IB, Papapanou PN. Periodontal Infections and Pre-Term Birth: Early Findings from a Cohort of Young Minority Women in New York. European Journal of Oral Sciences. 2001 Feb; 109(1):34-9. PubMed PMID: 11330932.
- West T, Langer L, Karabin S, Grbic J, Budasoff D, Gottsegen R, et al. Re: A Comparison of Endosseous Dental Implant Surfaces. Cochran DL (1999;70:1523-1539). Journal of Periodontology. 2000 Jun; 71(6):1051-3; author reply 5-6. PubMed PMID: 10914812.
- Papapanou PN, Engebretson SP, Lamster IB. Current and Future Approaches for Diagnosis of Periodontal Diseases. The New York State Dental Journal. 1999 Apr; 65(4): 32-7. PubMed PMID: 10363504.
- Engebretson SP, Lamster IB, Herrera-Abreu M, Celenti RS, Timms JM, Chaudhary AG, et al. The Influence of Interleukin Gene Polymorphism on Expression of Interleukin-1beta and Tumor Necrosis Factor-Alpha in Periodontal Tissue and Gingival Crevicular Fluid. Journal of Periodontology. 1999 Jun; 70(6):567-73. PubMed PMID: 10397510.
- Engebretson SP, Lalla E, Lamster IB. Periodontitis and Systemic Disease. The New York State Dental Journal. 1999 Oct;65(8):30-2. PubMed PMID: 10581932.
- Fiorellini JP, Engebretson SP, Donath K, Weber HP. Guided Bone Regeneration Utilizing Expanded Polytetrafluoroethylene Membranes in Combination with Submerged and Nonsubmerged Dental Implants in Beagle Dogs. Journal of Periodontology. 1998 May; 69(5):528-35. PubMed PMID: 9623895.
- ROCKEFELLER CENTER
- 630 5th Avenue, Suite 1860
- New York, NY 10111
- (212) 765-7340
- STONY BROOK TECHNOLOGY PARK
- 196 Belle Meade Road, Suite 6
- East Setauket, NY 11733
- (631) 246-8080